Here are some Tips n Tricks for safe online shopping.
- If you are unfamiliar with the site, then you may test the site with an inexpensive purchase to begin with.
- Always use your Credit Card for your online shopping. Because Credit Cards tend to offer more protection than Debit Cards as they don’t directly remove funds from your own bank account.
- Take advantage of one-time-use ‘Virtual Credit Cards’ facility offered by some card issuers.
- Some online shopping sites request a card verification number when making a purchase. This is the small code shown on the signature bar on the back of your card. Normally the last 3 digits of the code are required. This is to prevent someone who has managed to get your name; card number and expiration date from being able to make purchases using your card.
- Never send your credit card details through non-secure online methods such as via e-mail. Such methods will offer less protection.
- If you are doing online shopping from another country, you must check details regarding the currency that you are paying in, exchange rates and the possibility of sales duties or taxes being levied on your purchase when it reaches you. Also, ensure the items you buy from another country, is legally acceptable in your country.
- Must alert your local police, consumer watchdog and/or relevant chamber of commerce about websites failing to deliver what they promise or not using secure credit card processing, so that they can warn others.
- If your internet certification process warns you to be careful of a site that might be taking your confidential details, take that warning seriously.
- Keep your bank account details to yourself.
- Don’t buy from retailers who have not given their contact details or who do not give you satisfactory responses to your queries.
- Always agree on the total amount that is going to be on your credit card and never allow open-ended credit charges.
- If you receive suspicious emails, do not open them or click on any of the links.
Look in for my next blog: Legal Issues in Online Shopping.