A lot of studies are being carried out on the growing online retail industry and the logistics support that is required to make the online retail business very effective and also how Logistics can help the online retail industry to grow further. And according to the studies conducted, it is estimated that the Logistics companies can earn about $5 billion annually by 2021 from online retail firms. Great opportunities are ahead for the Logistics Companies.
Who can make this happen? Logistics is the process of planning, implementing, and controlling the effective and efficient flow of goods and services from the point of origin to the point of consumption. And any Logistics company that is well equipped to take on the ever growing challenges of the growing online retail business can make this happen.
Large companies like Blue Dart, Aramex and DTDC have set up separate ecommerce logistics arms. Startup companies like Ecom Express and Delhivery focus only on ecommerce logistics.
While knowledge and experience will help embrace success in this field, anyone could venture into this area – providing logistics support to the growing online retail industry and become successful.
The Opportunities: There are many opportunities like, pick up from sellers, packaging, warehousing, last-mile logistics including same day delivery, cash-on-delivery and the reverse logistics including the returned goods.
- Driving innovations and use of modern technology are the main factors which will make a successful logistic company.
- Fully automated warehouses where machines will sort the parcels.
- Multi-user warehouses where logistics firms will pick up goods from multiple sellers, stock, pack and ship them.
- Customers can pick up or return a product from designated collection centers in cities and small towns.
- Lockers from where customers can pick up parcels using codes sent to their mobile phones.
- Specialised services like delivery person taking measurements of a customer, going to a tailor, getting alterations done and then delivering the altered garment.
You can innovate anything which can add convenience and comfort to the online shoppers and also help the online retailers and their logistics partners.